12 Tips for “Enjoying the Ride”
We sometimes spend lots of energy trying to fix or change negative situations that are really beyond our control. (ie – corporate decisions, the economy)
Instead, it would be a better use of our time to find ways to counteract the negativity by focusing on creating more of “what provides amusement or enjoyment” (Webster Dictionary definition of FUN).
My colleague Susan Clarke, CFO (Chief FUN Officer) of FUN-damentals.com says it best: “Fun is riding the teeter totter on the playground of life. There will always be ups and downs. Hold on and enjoy the ride!”
Here are 12 of my favorite tips for “enjoying the ride:”
1. Make peace with your past so it doesn’t spoil all the fun in your future.
2. Don’t try to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
3. Each day do something nice for someone.
4. Don’t compare your life to others’. You have no idea what they’ve been through.
5. Develop a network of friends to support you in “enjoying the ride.”
6. Don’t take yourself so seriously…keep a sense of humor.
7. Use your “resiliency resources.” i.e. – spend time doing your favorite activities
8. Smile. Laugh. Play.
9. Create a list of FUN things to do, then start doing them.
10. Don’t take things personally. It’s usually NOT about you.
11. Ask for what you want. If you don’t ask, you don’t get.
12. Remember…no one is in charge of your happiness except you.