Check in with yourself during the day. Ask yourself which of these task “boxes” you’re in. Or, ask someone else to hold you accountable.
BOX 1 – Putting out fires
- Let go of perfectionism when task doesn’t require it
- Use your network – ask for help
- Ask – What’s the consequence if task doesn’t get done?
BOX 2 – Someday List (Important but not deadline-driven)
- Determine your big picture – use as a “true north”
- Set bite-size goals
- Find an accountability partner
BOX 3 – O.P.S. (Other People’s Stuff)
- Learn to say NO Nicely (“Thank you for the offer, however I’m going to pass”)
- Pull rank when you have no rank to pull (“Would it be possible to?” “Would you consider?” “How about?”)
- Use positive phrases: “I need your help,” “I would appreciate,” “I’m concerned”
BOX 4 – Time Wasting
- Schedule RELAXATION & FUN…that’s Box 2 and NOT a waste of time
- Type A people: Give yourself permission to take a break (note to self!)
- Don’t beat yourself up for getting off track…tomorrow is a new day!